Our choice of clothing and cosmetics can have a big impact on how old we appear. While fashion and makeup can certainly highlight your sense of style and compliment your best features, they can also do the opposite if we’re not careful. We don’t always update our fashion and beauty routines as we get older and that can date us. Here are some common mistakes and beauty blunders to avoid.
- Wearing heavy black eyeliner – dark, harsh eye makeup draws attention to fine lines and wrinkles around the eye area. So those generally unnoticeable fine lines are now what everyone is looking at. Opt for a softer shadow look and brown pencil liner lightly applied.
- Over accessorizing – when you have too many accessories you may think you look more put together, but it’s possible it just looks messy and outdated. Listen to the words of Coco Chanel when she said: “When accessorizing always take off the last thing you put on.”
- Tights – some women have had nude tights as a staple in their closets for years, but that’s no longer a good look. They rarely match your skin tone and give an unflattering matte look to your legs. It’s time to toss them and try some Spanx or a body shaper.
- Super long hair – many times we see pictures of young beautiful women with long flowing locks and think that’s what we need to look younger. This couldn’t be further from the truth. As you age you lose fat in your face which tends to make the face look longer and less plump. When you wear long straight hair it can make your face look even more drawn. Ask your hairstylist what they would recommend and try a new look!
- Not dressing for your body shape – wearing baggy clothes, a boxy unflattering jacket, or a skirt that’s too short are just some of the ways people can dress inappropriately for their body type. I always recommend getting clothes tailored, especially if it’s a nice blazer or an expensive item you will be wearing a lot. It can take years off!
Sometimes all it takes is being aware of some old habits we may not realize age us. These are simple changes we all can make to help us look and feel our best!